This month, Econsultancy’s Digital Transformation Monthly reports on the latest developments in the retail and grocery sectors and takes a look at brands experimenting with new digital platforms, checkout-free concept stores, and forays into the metaverse. Stories covered include:
- Q-commerce: Turkish rapid delivery service Getir acquires British rival Weezy, entering into the already crowded q-commerce market in the UK. Will it keep up with the fierce competition?
- On-demand drones: In the US, a new branch of on-demand delivery takes off as drone pilot schemes start delivering small, essential items to local customers. Will weight restrictions on drone deliveries ground the trials?
- Checkout-free shopping: Brands such as Sainsbury’s, McDonald’s and Starbucks experiment with checkout-free technology to offer customers more streamlined in-store experiences. Will cashiers and tills become a thing of the past?
- The metaverse: Following on the heels of Facebook’s ‘Meta’ rebrand, Dyson launches a new digital showroom and Nike builds a virtual world for gamers. How will mainstream consumers respond to these new virtual playgrounds?
- Digital platforms: As ecommerce continues to gain pace, companies including Tesco, Macy’s and L’Oréal launch new digital platforms to capitalise on data and insights. Meanwhile, NHS England reorganises to drive data and transformation.
Read on for analysis of all these stories and more in our December edition of Digital Transformation Monthly.